RECIPE: THE HIGH PRIESTESS
Deeply bittersweet body with complex herbal notes and a lightly tart finish.
prep time: 30 minutes active, 6 hours passive serves: 8 difficulty: medium
- ¾ cup (180 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 g) white sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup (120 ml) root beer
- 1 cup (125 g) cranberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 tbsp (8 g) walnuts, toasted at 300°F (150°C) for 10 minutes until lightly browned
- 12 (2 Tbsp or 2 g) sage leaves, fresh
Cranberry Shrub (yields 1 cup or 240 ml)
- In a small, high-sided pot over medium heat, combine 2 Tbsp water and sugar, stirring briefly to mix.
- Without disturbing the pot, let sugar caramelize to a dark amber, then immediately remove from heat.
- Angling the pot away from you, slowly pour in ¼ cup water, apple cider vinegar, root beer, cranberries and walnuts. Beware of splashback and steam as the water hits the molten sugar.
- Return to heat and stir to loosen and dissolve caramelized sugar.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the cranberry skins have split.
- Remove from heat and let sit to cool.
- Seal and refrigerate to infuse flavours for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Strain out solids and refrigerate the liquid for up to four weeks. (Optionally, reserve the solids for later use; see notes.)
Sage Tea (yields ¾ cup or 180 ml)
- In a small pot over high heat, bring ½ cup water to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add sage leaves and cover.
- Let infuse for 5 minutes, then strain out leaves and let tea sit until cool.
- Seal and refrigerate for up to one week.
High Priestess Potion (yields 2¾ cup or 420 ml)
- In a large bottle, combine Sage Tea and Cranberry Shrub, shaking gently to mix.
- Seal and refrigerate for up to three weeks.
- 3½ oz (105 ml) High Priestess Potion, chilled
- 1 sage leaf
- Into a champagne coupe or martini glass, pour High Priestess Potion.
- To garnish, lightly slap the sage leaf between your palms to release its aroma and place in the cocktail.
- You can use the leftover solids from the Cranberry Shrub as a sauce or add to your favourite cranberry sauce for another dimension of flavour!