prep time: 35 minutes serves: 8 difficulty: easy
- 3 cups (720 ml) water, divided
- ¼ cup (6 g) hibiscus flower tea, dried whole
- 1½ tsp (2.5 g) allspice berries, dried
- 1 ½ grapefruit
- 1 grapefruit, whole for garnish
- ½ grapefruit, zested and juiced
- 1½ tbsp (9 g) grapefruit zest
- ¼ cup (60 ml) grapefruit juice
- ½ tbsp (4 g) cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 1 cup (240 g) brown sugar or equivalent substitute
- ¾ cup (180 ml) lime juice, fresh
- 2 tsp (0.4 g) pearlized edible gold dust
Spiced Hibiscus Tea (yields 2 cups or 480 ml)
- In a small pot over high heat, bring 2 cups of water to a boil.
- Add hibiscus flowers, allspice berries, and grapefruit zest.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, pass through a fine mesh strainer, and discard solids.
- Let sit to cool.
Cocoa Syrup (yields 1 cup or 240 ml)
- In a small pot over medium heat, combine 1 cup of water with cocoa powder and brown sugar.
- Heat while stirring until cocoa and sugar have dissolved.
- Remove from heat and let sit to cool.
Justice Potion (yields 4 cups or 960 ml)
- In a large bottle, combine the Spiced Hibiscus Tea, Cocoa Syrup, grapefruit juice, and lime juice.
- Seal and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- 4 oz Justice Potion, chilled
- Pinch of pearlized edible gold dust
- Grapefruit zest
- In a mixing glass full of ice, pour the Justice Potion and add a pinch of gold dust.
- Stir for 10 seconds to slightly dilute, then strain into a champagne coupe or martini glass.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove a wide strip of grapefruit zest.
- With the pith facing you, squeeze the zest over the drink, then rub it around the rim of the glass and drop inside the drink.