RECIPE: THE TOWER
Smoked evergreen and sharp citrus, rounded out by honeyed sweetness.
prep time: 30 minutes serves: 4 difficulty: medium
- ¼ cup (16 g) wood chips, bbq or smoking grade
- 12 sprigs rosemary (15 g), fresh
- 4 sprigs reserved for garnish
- 1 tsp (5 g) ginger, unpeeled and finely grated
- ¾ cup (180 ml) honey
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- 1 cup (240 ml) lemon juice, fresh
- 2½ cups (600 ml) club soda
Smoked Rosemary Cordial (yields 1½ cups or 360 ml)
- Add wood chips to a medium, dry pot over high heat.
- Stir frequently until chips are smoking and evenly toasted to dark brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and while angling the pot away from you, slowly add 1 cup of water, 8 rosemary sprigs, and ginger. Beware of splashback as the water hits the hot pot.
- Cover the pot and return to a simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pass through a fine strainer to remove solids.
- Let cool to room temperature, then add honey and stir to dissolve.
- Seal and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- 3 oz Smoked Rosemary Cordial
- 2 oz lemon juice
- 5 oz club soda
- 1 sprig rosemary
- In a tall 12 oz glass with ice, pour 2 oz Smoked Rosemary Cordial and 1 oz lemon juice.
- Top with 5 oz club soda and stir gently to mix.
- Garnish with a sprig of rosemary pushed half-way into the cocktail, and lightly char the exposed portion with a culinary blowtorch (enough to glow and smoke, but not catch fire).
- Be sure that your cooking area is well-ventilated when charring the wood chips.
- Heating honey to high temperatures will produce bitter flavours and degrade its flavour, so mix it at cooler temperatures whenever possible.
- Remember to warn your guests of the smoking rosemary sprig when serving!