RECIPE: THE STAR
Effervescent, sour and lightly bitter hops, rounded out with faintly woody spice.
prep time: 30 minutes serves: 4 difficulty: easy
- ½ cup (120 ml) water
- 1 tsp (3 g) hop flower, fresh, dried, or frozen pellets
- 1½ Tbsp (8 g) coriander seeds, whole
- ½ cup (120 g) white sugar, or equivalent substitute
- 1 cup (240 ml) grapefruit juice, fresh
- 2 cups (480 ml) club soda
- ½ grapefruit, cut into 4 slices
- 1 Tbsp (15 g) coarse salt
Hopped Coriander Syrup (yields ⅔ cup or 160 ml)
- In a small pot over high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add hop flowers, cover and let infuse for 10 minutes.
- Pour into a blender, then add coriander seeds and sugar. Blend at high speed until all coriander seeds are broken.
- Pass through a fine sieve to remove solids. Press to more syrup, and let sit to cool.
The Star Blend (yields 1⅔ cups or 400 ml)
- In a large bottle, combine the cooled hopped coriander syrup with grapefruit juice.
- Seal and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- 3 oz (90 ml) of The Star Blend
- 4 oz (120 ml) of club soda
- 1 grapefruit slice
- pinch of coarse salt
- Pour The Star blend Into a tall, 12 oz glass filled with ice.
- Top with club soda and stir gently.
- Dust one side of a grapefruit slice with salt, and place across the mouth of the glass to garnish.
While drinking, ask yourself: When you find yourself at the precipice of a new beginning, how do you transform your initial anxiety into intentional enthusiasm?