A complex lemonade with bold vegetal flavours and a hint of savoury spice.
prep time: 1 hour serves: 4 difficulty: medium
- 2½ cups (600 ml) water
- ¾ tsp (2 g) celery seed, coarsely ground until fragrant
- 1 cup (210 g) white sugar or equivalent sugar substitute
- 2 tsp (4 g) allspice berries, dried and lightly crushed
- ½ tsp (1 g) Lapsang Souchong tea leaves
- 2 tsp (4 g) Assam black tea leaves
- ½ cup (120 ml) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 cup (240 ml) club soda
- 1 celery stalk
Celery Cordial (yields ¾ cup or 180 ml)
- Bring ½ cup of water to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Add celery seeds, cover and let infuse for 20 minutes.
- Pass through a fine sieve to remove solids. Lightly press the seed paste to release more liquid. (Use a coffee filter to remove any celery seed specks if you'd like.)
- Add sugar, stir to dissolve, then let sit to cool.
Smoked Spice Tea (yields 2 cups or 480 ml)
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil, then add the allspice berries along with Assam and Lapsang Souchong tea leaves.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, strain through a fine sieve to remove solids, and let sit to cool.
The World Mix (yields 2¾ cups or 660 ml)
- In a large container, combine celery cordial and smoked spice tea. Seal and refrigerate for up to 1 month
- 5½ oz (165 ml) The World Mix, chilled
- 1 oz (30 ml) lemon juice
- 2 oz (60 ml) club soda
- 1 long curl of celery, taken lengthwise from the stalk with a vegetable peeler
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, combine The World Mix and lemon juice. Seal and shake for 10 seconds to aerate.
- Into a tall, 12 oz glass filled with ice, strain the cocktail through a fine mesh sieve.
- Top with soda water, then gently stir with a bar spoon.
- To garnish, roll the celery curl into a loose spiral and pierce with a cocktail skewer. Lay the skewer on top of the glass.