Refreshingly bubbly and tart, with a bold ginger kick.
prep time: 1 hour serves: 4 difficulty: hard
- 1½ cup (240 ml) water
- 1 cinnamon stick (6 g), 4 inches (10 cm) long
- 1 tsp (5 ml) molasses
- 1½ tsp (4 g) allspice berries, dried
- 1½ tsp (4 g) fennel seed, whole
- 3 limes, 2 finely zested and juiced and 1 reserved for garnish
- 3 g lime zest
- 60 ml lime juice
- 4 empty lime hulls
- 1 banana, unpeeled
- ½ cup (60 g) ginger, finely grated
- ½ cup (60 g) brown sugar, or equivalent sugar substitute
- 1 cup (240 ml) club soda
- Pre-heat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the Banana in a baking tray, using a fork to evenly pierce the skin 3 times on both sides.
- Bake for 12 minutes until skin has blackened. Remove from oven and let sit to cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, cut banana into ½-inch slices and reserve for the next step.
Velvet Tea (yields ¾ cup or 200 ml)
- In a small pot over high heat, bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Add the cinnamon stick, allspice, fennel, lime zest, lime hulls, molasses, and sliced Caramelized Banana.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and pass through a fine mesh strainer to remove solids, pressing lightly to release more liquid.
- Let sit to cool, then seal and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Ginger Syrup (yields 1 cup or 240 ml)
- Heat ½ cup water to lightly steaming.
- In a heatproof blender, combine the hot water, grated ginger, and brown sugar.
- Blend at low speed until sugar has dissolved.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove solids, pressing firmly to release more liquid.
- Let cool to room temperature, then seal and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- 2 oz Velvet Tea
- 1 oz Ginger Syrup
- ½ oz lime juice
- 1 lime slice
- In a cocktail shaker with ice, add 2 oz Velvet Tea, 1 oz Ginger Syrup, and ½ oz lime juice.
- Seal and shake for 10 seconds.
- Fill a 12 oz glass or copper mug with coarsely crushed ice, packing it into a small mound above the glass rim.
- Open shaker and finely strain into the glass or mug.
- Stir briefly to mix the cocktail into a slush, then garnish with a slice of lime pushed into the ice.