Juicy tropical fruit flavours backed with a light bitterness and bold spice.
prep time: 45 minutes active, 5 hours passive serves: 20 difficulty: medium
- 1 cup (210 g) white sugar
- 10 limes, finely zested and juiced, hulls reserved
- 1 cup (34 g) lime zest
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) lime juice
- 20 empty lime hulls
- 1/2 medium orange, finely zested and juiced, hull reserved
- 1 Tbsp (10 g) orange zest
- ¼ cup (60 ml) orange juice
- 1 empty orange hull
- 2 Tbsp (20 g) ginger, unpeeled and finely grated
- 3 cups (720 ml) water
- 1½ tsp (3.75 g) cloves, whole
- 2 tsp (6.5 g) black peppercorn, whole
- ½ tsp (1 g) Lapsang Souchong tea leaves
- 2 tsp (6 g) hop flower, fresh, dried, or frozen pellets
- 2 ½ cups (600 ml) pineapple juice, fresh or packaged
- 5 cups (1200 ml) soda water
DIRECTIONSLime-Infused Sugar (yields 1½ cups or 240 g)
- Mix the mint leaves with 250mL hot water, let infuse for five minutes
- Strain, let sit to cool, then refrigerate
- In a large pot over high heat, bring water to a boil.
- Add cloves, peppercorn, ½ tsp Lapsang Souchong tea, 2 tsp hop flower tea leaves, and reserved lime and orange hulls.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and let stock cool.
- Add lime-infused sugar to citrus stock. (Ladle some stock into the bag and agitate to get the last bits of sugar and zest).
- Add lime juice, orange juice, and pineapple juice.
- Stir until all remaining sugar has dissolved.
- Pass through a fine sieve into a large container and discard the solids.
- Refrigerate mix for up to 2 weeks.
- 3 oz (90 ml) Wheel of Fortune mix, chilled
- 2 oz (60 ml) soda water, chilled
- 1 thin, round slice of pineapple
- In a tall 12 oz glass full of ice, pour in the Wheel of Fortune mix.
- Slowly add soda water and gently stir.
- Garnish with a pineapple slice, pushed half-way into the drink.
Wheel of Fortune Punch
- Fill a punch bowl with large ice cubes.
- Pour in the entire Wheel of Fortune mix along with 5 cups of soda water. If your punch bowl is smaller, simply use half the amounts, and refrigerate the rest until needed.
- Ladle into punch cups and optionally garnish with a round pineapple slice.
For a more interesting presentation, fill a round cake pan or bundt mold with water and a few handfuls of frozen fruit and freeze. When ready to serve, let the vessel sit at room temperature for a few minutes, then turn over onto a clean kitchen cloth to release the ice block. Gently place the block into your punch bowl, then add the punch ingredients
While drinking, ask yourself: How can I embrace uncertainty, change, the unknown, and the unplanned? How do I untangle myself from habitual patterns that no longer serve me?