Re-imagining of an East-coast ice cream favourite!
prep time: 40 minutes serves: 4 difficulty: medium
- 1 banana, unpeeled and cut into thin slices
- ½ cup (120 g) white sugar, or equivalent substitute
- ½ tsp (2 g) nutmeg, freshly grated
- ¼ tsp (0.75 g) Assam black tea leaves
- ¼ cup (120 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (240 ml) water
- ¼ cup (60 g) pink bubblegum, roughly 12 pieces
- ½ cup (120 ml) egg white, or aquafaba
- 1 cup (240 ml) grape soda
- 1 cup (240 ml) sparkling water
- 1 tsp (0.2 g) edible gold glitter or sparkles
Bubblegum Syrup (yields ½ cup or 120 ml)
- In a small pot over high heat, bring 1 cup of water to a boil.
- Wrap the bubblegum pieces in a small piece of cheesecloth and add to the water.
- Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, remove bubblegum bundle and press lightly to release more liquid. Discard the bundle afterwards.
- Let cool to room temperature and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
Banana Shrub (yields ½ cup or 120 ml)
- In a small pot over low heat, add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, black tea leaves, banana slices, and grated nutmeg.
- Stir until sugar has dissolved, roughly 5 minutes.
- Pour all contents into a blender, and blend at high speed until smooth.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve, pressing firmly to release more liquid. Discard solids.
- Let cool and refrigerate for up to 1 week
- 1 oz Banana Shrub
- 1 oz Bubblegum Syrup
- 1 oz egg white or aquafaba
- 2 oz grape soda
- 2 oz sparkling water
- Pinch of edible gold glitter
- In a cocktail shaker without ice, add ½ oz Banana Shrub, 1 oz Bubblegum Syrup, and 1 oz egg white.
- Seal and vigorously shake for 10 seconds to create a foam.
- Open, fill the shaker with ice and shake for another 10 seconds.
- Strain the cocktail through a fine mesh sieve into a tall 12 oz glass with ice, tapping the strainer to get more foam out.
- Slowly pour in 2 oz grape soda and 2 oz sparkling water, letting the foam rise slightly above the glass rim.
- Wait a moment for the foam to settle, then sprinkle a pinch of edible glitter over the foam to garnish.